Happy Sunday! If you’re like me you typically do your meal planning and prep for the week on Sunday’s. I try (try being the operative word) to plan out everything Aaron and/or I will make for dinner the upcoming week and buy all of the groceries on Sunday morning. Then it’s a breeze to have home cooked meals and leftovers all week long… at least that’s the goal!
This recipe is an easy and flavorful weeknight meal to add to your repertoire. Have a wonderful week!
Black Bean Burger
- 2 cans (14.5 each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated yellow onion
- 1 small red pepper, diced small
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste (I used about 6-8 shakes)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Avocado (for topping)
- Buns, cheese and other burger toppings (if desired)
- In a large bowl mash the beans with a fork, leaving some beans whole. Add the rest of the ingredients through the hot sauce.
- Form in to burger patties (I usually make 5 patties).
- Heat a large skillet and melt butter and olive oil over medium heat. Cook burgers for about five minutes on each side. Serve with a bun, or not, it’s great both ways.