I’ve been on a roll lately, cooking up a storm! November and December are most definitely my favorite months to cook and bake. Thanksgiving and Christmas food = THE BEST!
This salad could easily be added to the Thanksgiving menu. To jazz it up for a holiday I would also add something that makes everything better… bacon!! Even my Dad went back for a second helping, and he isn’t always easy to please 😉
Brussel Sprout & Cranberry Salad
- 3-4 cups brussels sprouts, tough outer leaves pulled away
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles (I like to buy the brick and crumble it myself)
- 1 apple, chopped
- 2 jumbo shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- For the Maple-Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To shred the brussel sprouts hold the brussel sprout by the core and thinly slice it with a very sharp knife. Discard the cores. Place shreds in a medium bowl. Add cranberries pecans, feta and apple.
- To make dressing combine vinaigrette ingredients in a small mason jar. Shake well to combine.
- When you’re ready to serve the salad prepare the shallots. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and butter. Add half of the shallots and caramelize until just golden. Remove and place on a plate with paper towel. Do the same with the second half of the shallots. They get kind of crispy and really make the salad great!
- Add shallots to the salad and toss with the dressing.
Makes 6-7 servings.
Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats.