I hope you have been enjoying this beautiful October and all of the wonderful things fall has to offer! I’ve been doing lots of this lately:
I love trying unique food combinations and I am a big fan of this one. I’m also a sucker for sweet and savory and this quinoa salad has just that. It’s surprisingly filling and makes the perfect lunch.
Apple Almond Quinoa with Maple Sausage
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1.5 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8-12 oz maple breakfast sausage patties
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons dried cranberries
- salt and pepper, to taste (if needed)
- Rinse quinoa very well in a fine mesh strainer. Bring chicken broth and quinoa to a boil in a covered medium sauce pan. Once the broth begins to boil reduce heat to low and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add sausage then break up into small pieces and brown the sausage until fully cooked. Add cooked sausage, green onions, apple, almonds, and cranberries to the slightly cooled quinoa. Toss well to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes about 5 good sized servings.
Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats