This recipe is the epitome of summer. Freshly made basil pesto and super ripe cherry and heirloom tomatoes, what’s not to love?! And it only gets better when you add bacon and avocado, it’s the perfect combination!
Pesto, Bacon and Avocado Pasta
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 lb pasta, cooked and drained (I used rotini)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved and/or a large tomato, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- 1/2 cup pesto (homemade is definitely better!)
- In a large skillet heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they begin to caramelize, about 7-10 minutes. Remove the pan from heat. Add bacon, pasta, tomatoes, avocado and pesto. Stir gently until well combined. Serve warm or room temperature.
**Note: I made my own pesto, but I don’t usually measure out the ingredients, I just add them until it’s how I like it. So I don’t have an exact recipe to post. But here are the ingredients I use: lots of fresh basil, 2-3 cloves of garlic, toasted pine nuts and/or walnuts (about 1/3 cup total), good quality extra virgin olive oil (about 1/3-1/2 cup) and salt and pepper. Give them all a whirl in a food processor, and that’s it!
Makes 7-8 servings.