I can’t believe I’m saying it but this may be the most delicious soup I’ve ever made. The reason I can’t believe it is that I’m really not even a fan of baked potato soup… or so I thought! I’ve never made it before and I would never order it at a restaurant, but this recipe has made me a potato soup believer! It’s thick, hearty, rich and oh so delicious.
Full disclosure: this is some serious comfort food. There is NOTHING “light” or “reduced fat” about this bad boy. But being able to indulge in delicious food like this is one thing that makes life great!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 6 slices of bacon, diced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 6 cups milk (I used skim)
- 5 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (plus more for garnishing)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook bacon in a large, wide pot over medium high heat until browned. Remove and place on a plate with paper towel. Set aside.
- Discard the bacon fat. In the same pot melt the butter. Add onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and whisk butter, flour and onions for about a minute. Slowly pour in the milk and continue to whisk constantly. Whisk for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add potatoes and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for about 30-40 minutes, or until thickened and the potatoes are tender. Stir in the sour cream, shredded cheese and green onions.
- Serve and garnish with crumbled bacon, shredded cheese and green onions.
Makes about 6 servings.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious