Can you do me a favor and make this pasta bake ASAP?! It’s so, so good. It really doesn’t taste much like pumpkin, but the pumpkin adds a nice rich flavor. And of course, everything is better with bacon! I’ll keep my commentary short and sweet today, that way you can run to the store and get the ingredients to make this for dinner this week. You’ll be glad you did 🙂
Chicken Bacon Pumpkin Pasta Bake
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. pasta, cooked to al dente
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 1/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 5-6 slices of bacon, crumbled
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional for garnish)
- In a large and deep skillet heat the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onions and saute until they are caramelized and a golden color, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a blender or large food processor add the garlic, pumpkin, chicken broth, milk, olive oil, sage, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. Add pumpkin mixture to the caramelized onions. Next add the pasta, chicken, cheeses and bacon. Combine well.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered 9×13 baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly
Check out this sauce… beautifully delicious!
Makes about 10 servings.
Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum