When I first tried this recipe I basically had zero expectations that it would turn out. It just sounds weird, doesn’t it? I’m really not even sure why I made it. I’m happy to say I was pleasantly surprised! Pizza is one of my favorite foods and I love making my own crust from scratch (my pizza crust recipe is posted here). But in an effort to reduce carbs this recipe is a great alternative!
The topping options are endless. Top it with any and all of your favorite pizza fixings. Listed in the recipe are the ones I used, but you can change that however you would like.
I should also mention if you aren’t a big cauliflower fan, give this a try anyway. I didn’t even think I liked cauliflower until I gave it another shot recently, and I love it!
Pizza Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, chopped
- 2 tablespoons milk (I used skim)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- pepperoni slices, chopped
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- pizza toppings of your choice (I used green peppers, onions, mushrooms and pepperoni)
- Steam cauliflower in a steamer for about 10 minutes, or until tender. (You could also boil or microwave the cauliflower, but steaming helps to keep all of the nutrients in the cauliflower). Put the cauliflower, milk, butter, 8 pepperoni slices and 1/3 cup mozzarella in a blender of food processor. Blend until smooth with some chunks of cauliflower. Stir in the spices and salt and pepper.
- Pour the cauliflower puree into a buttered 8×8 casserole dish. Top with a layer of pizza sauce. Followed by 3/4 cup of mozzarella and pizza toppings.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until all the cheese is melted and it’s beginning to bubble.
Adapted from I Breath… I’m Hungry…