Hello! I’m finally getting into a routine again after our new family member took over our lives! That means more home cooked meals and much happier puppy parents. Here’s a recent family pic, Griffey is getting big quickly!
Now on to the recipe … if you love stuffed peppers but get bored with the same old variety, definitely give these a shot! They are my new favorite for sure. I know it seems like there are a lot of ingredients but it’s only because of all the spices, I keep tons of spices on hand so I never have to worry about it. Enjoy!
Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- olive oil
- yellow onion, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn, drained and rinsed (I actually use more like 3/4 of a can)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups pepper jack or monterey jack cheese, shredded
- optional garnish: avocado, sour cream and salsa
- In a medium sauce pot bring the quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook until all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. While the quinoa is cooking prepare the peppers and place them cut side up in a large baking dish.
- In a large pan heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for a few minutes until they are softened. Add the beans, corn, cilantro, tomatoes and spices. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir well. Add the quinoa and 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese (reserve the rest of the cheese for topping the peppers). Stir until combined.
- Fill the peppers evenly with all of the filling. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes or until the peppers are softened and cooked through. (If you’re in a time crunch you could also cook them at 375 for 5 or 10 minutes less). Top each pepper evenly with the remaining cheese and put them back in oven for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Let cool for a few minutes and serve.