I have mentioned before that I can’t get enough quinoa, in particular quinoa salads. Lots of fresh raw veggies and gluten-free quinoa all covered with a delicious dressing, it’s perfection! This southwest and black bean salad is one of my favorite recent creations. It has the perfect hint of lime and smokey cumin in every bite. I love that it is a meat-less dish, but is still filling enough even for dinner. And it almost requires no heat to make (except for 20 minutes to cook the quinoa) … which makes it great for a hot day when the last thing you want to do is use the oven!
Southwest Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 – 14 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 of a 14 oz. can of corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 1 or 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon cumin (I actually used 1 1/2 teaspoons because I love cumin)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly and place in a medium sauce pan with 2 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. Put quinoa in a large bowl to cool.
- While the quinoa cools chop the peppers, onions, and cilantro and place them in a large bowl.
- Prepared the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice and spices.
- Add the quinoa, black beans and corn to the large bowl of veggies, stir to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir well. Gently fold in the diced avocado, or top each serving with diced avocado. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Makes 6-8 servings.