First and foremost, Happy Mother’s Day to all of the wonderful Moms out there! I was able to spend time with both my lovely Mother and Mother-in-law this weekend, I am a lucky daughter!
This recipe goes out to my BFF, Kristi. We recently had a somewhat similar meal at Granite City and she said it is one of her favs. So I wanted to recreate something similar at home. It’s a great healthy weeknight dinner and is a sinch to throw together. I was able to find a really fresh pre-made bruschetta at the grocery store, which made the prep quick and easy. I was surprised at how deeeelicious this dish was and will be making it regularly.
Avocado, Bruschetta & Mozzarella Chicken
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 large (or 4 small) chicken breasts, pounded to a thin and even thickness
- Extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup bruschetta (I used store bought)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 fresh mozzarella ball, sliced
- baby spinach
- In a small sauce pot bring the balsamic vinegar to a boil. Turn heat down to medium-low and let simmer until thickened, but 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness in a large ziplock bag with a meat mallet or rolling pin. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper to taste and cook until no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes per side.
- Place chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet and top each chicken breast with a 1/4 cup of bruschetta. Next top with about 3 slices of avocado and a slice of mozzarella.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler and broil the chicken until the cheese has melted. Serve over a bed of baby spinach and drizzle with the balsamic reduction.
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats