One of my newest favorite foods is quinoa. It can be used in tons of different recipes and has lots of protein. This recipe doesn’t have any meat but I didn’t miss it at all, and it is still loaded with protein with the beans and quinoa. Even my meat-loving husband ate this dish right up 🙂 Enjoy!
Black Bean & Quinoa Enchilada Bake
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1 large orange or green pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 (15 oz.) cans reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cup enchilada sauce (you can use store bought or my enchilada sauce recipe)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded and divided
- green onions, avocado and sour cream for garnish
- Place quinoa and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for a minute or two then reduce heat to low and simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed, 15-20 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Saute onions for 2 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeños, followed by the peppers. Let cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the corn, lime juice, cumin, chili powder and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- In a large bowl add the quinoa and black beans. Then add the vegetable mixture, enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Place in a greased 9×13 pan, top with the remaining cheese, and cover with aluminum foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes, or until bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with green onions, avocado slices and sour cream.
Adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod