This recipe is one of the regulars in our house. My husband even declared it one of his favorites the other night! And it has inspired me to get creative with my chicken, turkey and beef burgers. You can jazz up a plain old burger so easily by adding some diced onions, feta crumbles, bbq sauce, I could go on, but those are a few of my favorite burger additions.
These burgers are super moist with the peanut sauce and veggies mixed in, and the flavor combo is awesome. They are somewhat fragile so I wouldn’t recommend cooking them on an outdoor grill. A grill pan, or even a plain old frying pan works just fine!
Thai Turkey Burgers with Peanut Sauce (adapted from Iowa Girl Eats)
Makes 6 burgers
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup broccoli, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- buns (I like to use sandwich thins)
- baby spinach
- 6 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Tamari)
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (or you could use siracha)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece of freshly grated ginger, or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Make the peanut sauce by combining peanut butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, water, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, honey, garlic and ginger in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Set aside. Note: this makes a lot of peanut sauce, if you aren’t a big sauce person half the sauce recipe.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of the peanut sauce, ground turkey, carrots, broccoli, green onion, cilantro, crushed red pepper, and pepper in a large bowl. Form into 6 patties. Heat a large grill pan over medium heat and spray with plenty of non-stick spray. Cook burgers for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Serve on a sandwich thins or your bun of choice. Top with peanut sauce and baby spinach leaves.
This is what the uncooked patties look like, awesomely veggie packed:
One last thing … GO BADGERS! I love March Madness 🙂